Sunday, August 22, 2010

It's been awhile

Well! Hello again and welcome back to the confines of that which some may refer to as the interweb. It's been awhile for me and I'm sure, no. stop. , positive that you've been salivating over what profundities will arise during this morning discourse. I'm afraid that I'll have to dash your hopes yet again as I have little intent nor hope of divulging much of anything today that will make you go "whoa!".
School, tomorrow once again it begins. The campus grounds have flooded with inquisitive minds, beguiling me with inquiries such as " Where can I find the Insert(greek letter, greek letter, greek letter)","Which way to Abners Chicken", and perhaps if I'm lucky "Do you these beans taste sour to you"? I know, you say, campus life sure seems harder then it did when I went to school. I'm afraid i have no basis for reference, but I'm sure you're correct. My brain can't handle it all, really.
I've moved into a new house, a mile further from campus, but quite a deal cozier, calming, and spacious. The kitchen es muy largo. One of my main concerns when purveying a future flat. I believe the decided upon nomenclature for our house has been decided. "Casa de cacahuete" The house of peanuts. I do believe we've consumed an ample supply of peanuts since our arrival with the number hovering somewhere between 10 and 40 lbs. Natures original MSG. Savory, yet salty. Hitting every bud upon my tongue that I care to hit. The house consists of one carport, one storage hut adjacent to said carport, laundry room, large kitchen/dining area with mesmerizing checkerboard flooring, one sun room, one living room area complete with wood flooring and miniature closet, 1 communal bathroom(sans the bath...plus one shower) 3 bedrooms with ample closet space and ceiling fan, and a fat ol' backyard complete with not one, but two storage sheds. I sleep like the dickens every evening and well into the morning; this tomfoolery must stop.
Classes as such include mycology, meta-analysis, community ecology, and multivariate statistics. Excited for all of them. The meta-analysis class will be a joint venture taught by some of the best mycorrhizasts(that's mycorrhizal ecologists for ya'll(or also, those who study the symbiosis of mutualistic fungi and their plant hosts that occurs in the plant rhizosphere(root zone))). Got that? I couldn't be more excited...really. Mycology will be a treat, community ecology the after dinner coffee, and multivariate the glue that binds. It will be a busying semester. I also teach four sections of Human Biology for the non-major. I hope to teach something else next semester as I'll now have taught this class for 2 semesters and 2 summer sessions, but I've got the material down pat and despite a heavy grading work-load, it will work to my advantage to teach this with so many classes. I'm guessing research will come to a slight standstill...not too still, hopefully, but I've got all of next semester without any classes to complete what remains. I've finished a good portion of the research this summer and last semester and will be analyzing my own data in multivariate statistics.
I'm afraid Jeff and I have given up the garden to Nok and Nom who will treat it well. We just have no time to replant or plant anew for the continued growing season. Not to mention, little to no time to water or kill the ever growing detrimental insect population.

That's all for now. I hope to post every now and again, but we will see. Stay tuned, or don't.

-K

No comments:

Post a Comment