Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Everything in its right place

No photos again today. I'll try to take some tomorrow, but in the meantime; Wow! So Kristin totally shot and hit the moon with a job here in Oxford. I would have thought that it would take at least "some" time to find a job for her, but no. We arrived yesterday and I spoke with my advising professor who said that another Dr. had been looking for me to discuss my teaching this semester. Well, it seems signals got crossed and although I have a Research Assistant appointment this semester, they also had expected me to TA. Well! That left room for someone else to sidle into that position. Enter Kristin. So, Kristin got a position as a TA within the first 24 hours of getting to Oxford. Not too bad for a girl from Minnesota. Had my first class today in Biometry, otherwise regarded as statistics and experimental design geared toward ecological research. It shall be very useful throughout the semester and as I continue through the sciences. I think the professor will be pretty informative and I'm really looking forward to reading ahead in the book. It's rainy in Oxford right now and thunder storming with some pretty intense lightning cracks. Pretty fun to listen to. Tomorrow night Kristin and I are going to try our hand at making our own pasta with eggs, wheat flower, herbs, and salt.

On another food note,l We went to the grocery store Krogers today with a spaghetti sauce glass jar that we were hoping to fill with bulk items. Well, besides the olive bar there really is no bulk food. BUT! Krogers has the best sun dried tomatoes that they make and so I was hoping to get some of these put our jar. So I asked the women at the deli if she could weigh our jar prior to tomato input and she said she would have to ask the manager about that...initially she said we should just put the sun drieds in the jar and she would weigh it, but at 7.99 a pound and by her logic, using the glass jar would have cost us nearly 6 dollars in addition to the sun drieds we would purchase. So the manager comes over and I explain that we would prefer not to generate any waste if possible and he says that he, not super enthusiastically, says that that would work. He said that this was the first time anyone had ever wanted a container weighed for this purpose which was I suppose not super surprising, but interesting to hear. So he calls over the huge loud speaker and we run to the front and has this gentlemen weigh it and then tells the guy to remember the number and my face for the checkout lane. So...after a long debacle, they let us fill up sun drieds in our jar. I hope they let this fly in the future also because they have some wicked kalamatas and dolmas..and of course the sundrieds. Anyways, that was our day. It was a good day, a very good day. I think this semester will be a blast. G'night.

No comments:

Post a Comment