Sunday, January 24, 2010

That fungi just totally ate that twig






So I've been processing my ectomycorrhizal samples (the soil fungi) and am starting to come across some neat individuals. The black spindley fellow is Cenococcum Geophilum which is a pretty omnipresent mycorrhiza that occurs in both early stage and late stage forests. This implies that not only is it good at colonizing new substrates relative to other fungi, but that it is a efficient competitor for root tip space. This is an easily recognizable mycorrhiza...the others are not so easy. The highest image is of some fungi that is actually surrounding and eating a decaying twig. We can thank fungi for not being neck deep in dead tree leaves, grass, amongst other dead things because they are the primary decomposers of dead matter.
Kristin helped me clean some soil off of the roots we collected for a while the other and has been busy also preparing for her lab that she will be TAing. Sounds like she has quite a bit of stuff to learn but I think she will do well and will care whether her students do well. It takes a while to find your voice from my experience but it eventually comes. I'm not feeling very well...I had a temperature earlier today and have felt quite weak all day long, but unfortunately I need to get homework and lab work done. Tired and going to sleep. G'night all.

No comments:

Post a Comment